Senior Developer & Mentor
Are you an experienced developer looking to make a difference?
The position: Code the Dream is looking for an experienced developer to join our team as a lead developer and mentor.
Code the Dream is a growing nonprofit initiative where people from diverse backgrounds — often low-income, minority and immigrant communities — learn to code. After their classroom training, new coders have a chance to join CTD Labs, where they gain valuable experience building a wide range of apps for nonprofits, local government and startups. The result is a unique win-win, where students go on to life-changing careers in tech and our communities benefit from the tools they develop.
In this position, you would serve as one of two senior mentors on staff, helping our CTD Labs junior developers keep learning, thinking through obstacles and becoming better developers. Each day you’ll be checking in with students working on different projects, and your main focuses will likely include:
- Mentorship and supervision: Regular check-ins with students, code reviews, etc. (50%-ish)
- Architecting, coding, etc. (many of the things you probably do now) (30%-ish)
- Communicating with current or potential clients / partners (10%-ish)
- Everything else that goes into this unique intersection of growing nonprofit and dev shop (10%-ish)
These bullets are just to give you a rough idea, and there’s some room for flexibility depending on individual strengths and interests. For example, willingness to teach intro/advanced classes is also a plus.
Skills and Experience
- 4+ years designing and implementing complex, data-heavy web applications, test driven development
- 2+ years experience with Ruby on Rails and PostgreSQL / relational databases, AWS
- Experience with design and building Web API development
- Experience as a small team leader, tech-lead or similar role
The Right Fit
- You are passionate about social justice and equal opportunity, and that technology can and should help us accomplish both.
- You feel comfortable (and enjoy!) working with people whose backgrounds are different than your own.
- You are self-motivated and like setting and accomplishing big goals.
This is a full-time position with paid vacation, holidays, and health and retirement benefits. The salary range, commensurate with experience, is $50-60,000 annually. The job is based at our office in downtown Durham and may require limited travel.
Code the Dream is an equal-opportunity employer. Candidates of color, women, and those from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.